Thursday, April 24, 2014

Suddenly Sad

On April 7, 2007 I was hunting for a house for our family on the island of Oahu. My realtor was dutifully taking me to all the spots in our price range. It was hard work looking for a house without Kathy. Through some realtor chicanery, we ended up at a house well out of my price range but with stunning views from the top of Mariner's Ridge. We stood in awe at the view from the wall to wall and floor to ceiling windows. Once we had recovered, we walked around the back to an extremely large deck. I heard a slight noise and turned to see a medium sized dog approaching. He was brindle brown, black and white with incredible gold speckled eyes. Playful, he brought his own tennis ball and dropped it on the deck. Annoyed that I couldn't afford this gorgeous house, I thew the ball passed the next door neighbor yard, where the dog came from, and down the hill on the other side. The dog took off like a shot and the realtor laughed as we got back to business. How much was this house again?
The dog returned with the green tennis ball in his mouth. He dropped it and kicked it to my feet. Was this some sort of dare? I threw it again and he brought back again. I threw it up the hill and he brought it back again. I threw it down the hill and like a greyhound chasing a rabbit he flew off the deck only to return with ball in his mouth, hesitate and drop it at my feet. This dog was a ball chasing machine!

Somehow I made the worst financial decision ever and bought the house. And yet, it is also the best decision I've ever made for many reasons. 
We found out the dog's name was Kukui and he became a fixture at our house and Jake's best friend. They were inseparable. Through the love of Kukui, we met our neighbors Bill and Cher Sullivan. Great people who would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Many times when we had to go away, Jake would go next door and get spoiled rotten by Bill who just loved to have Jake on his lap and scratch his stomach. We'd come home and though Bill would know we were there, he would wait until we asked for Jake back. The bond between Jake and Kukui extended to our families. Kukui could often be found at our house while Jake was visiting their house. If I was cooking a thanksgiving turkey in the smoker, Kukui was keeping me company on the deck ... always with a tennis ball. 

Initially, Kukui liked to chase Majik around the house. I was worried about her but Kathy wisely pointed out that when Majik got tired of being chased, she'd let Kukui know. One afternoon, Kukui came down the steps with a bloody nose. Majik had let him know she was done with this game. Kukui, always a smart dog, never chased Majik again.
When Kathy and I last visited Oahu, we stayed at Turtle Bay on the North Shore and at a swanky hotel at the exclusive Ko'Olina but the best time we had was staying with Bill and Cher in their guest room.
Kathy and I were shocked today when Cher told Kathy through IM that Bill had passed away April 7th with a heart ailment. In addition, Kukui passed away a week later with prostrate cancer. These two were Cher's world. My heart goes out to Cher in this time of grieving. 
Our world is an now emptier place without them. If there is a heaven then Bill is walking Kukui and Jake through the back woods of Mariner's Ridge ... with Majik chasing after them.

No comments: